Sunday, May 2, 2010

Bugging neighbours... again

I may have gotten carried away a little with all the burning (calcining) I've been doing lately, even though it's all been done in the dead of the night. One of my neighbours had their window open last night and now their bedroom stinks :S Oopse. I guess I'll have to not only do my calcining at night but when there's also a wind or storm. Either that or just do very small quantities at a time. Ugh. It's so much easier in the winter to calcine - everyone's windows are closed no matter what during the night.
I had an idea about calcining/roasting the galena: Perhaps I could use the heat of a candleflame to roast it? I'll try a bit and see what happens. I'll have to be careful or I'll fuse the sulfur to the lead if it's too hot too soon, so I might have it a bit higher up where it's only warm, then have it closer when all or most of the sulfur is out. I'd have to do very small quantities at a time, like perhaps only a few grams, otherwise I don't think it would work (too much for the flame to handle). All this, of course, in addition to how I would normally do it (outside with the stronger hotplate).

No comments:

Post a Comment